Terminating an Individual Wastewater Discharge Permit

If you want to terminate an individual NPDES permit because the wastewater discharge covered by the permit has ended, you must notify the appropriate Ohio EPA district office in writing. The letter should be on official letterhead and include the following information:

  • Name of the permittee.
  • Name of the facility.
  • Ohio EPA permit number.
  • Date that discharge ended.
  • Since the discharge ended, where is the wastewater going? (For example, connection to regional sewers, or school closed – no wastewater.)
  • Where any residual wastewater or solids were taken.
  • Plans for remaining infrastructure, such as tanks. (For example, collapse and fill.)

The letter must be signed as follows:

  • In the case of a corporation, by a responsible corporate officer. See paragraph (E)(1) of Ohio Administrative Code 3745-33-03 [PDF] for additional information.
  • In the case of a partnership, by a general partner.
  • In the case of a sole proprietorship, by the proprietor.
  • In the case of a municipal, state or other public facility, by either the principal executive officer, the ranking elected official or other duly authorized employee.