Used oil has its own set of regulations separate and apart from the hazardous waste regulations. Congress passed the Used Oil Recycling Act of 1980 as an amendment to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Under the used oil rules used oil is defined as petroleum based or synthetic oils that are used as lubricants, hydraulic fluid, heat transfer fluid (coolant), cutting fluid, buoyant or for some other similar purpose and become contaminated with physical and chemical impurities. Examples of used oil include: engine oils; lubricating oils; brake fluids; transmission fluids; insulating oils; metal cutting fluids; industrial process oils, compressor or refrigerant oils. Used oil does not include petroleum derived solvents used for cleaning or vegetable or animal oils and fats.
Used oil that is not managed safely can pose a threat to humans and the environment. Improperly disposing of used oil can also lead to contamination of drinking water, surface water, ground water and soils. The used oil regulations describe proper used oil management. Because used oil is a reusable resource, the regulations also promote used oil recycling. If your business generates, transports, burns, processes, re-refines or markets used oil, it is important that you understand and comply with the applicable used oil regulations found in Ohio Administrative Code Chapter 3745-279.
- List of Used Oil Processors and Refiners Facilities
- REGISTERED USED OIL COLLECTION CENTERS
- Obtaining a U.S. EPA ID Number
- Used Oil Recyclers
- Used Oil Requirements Summary Table
- Ohio EPA Frequently Asked Questions
Enables users to search frequently asked questions, or submit their own question/comment on a variety of Ohio EPA issues and topics. This link is filtered to provide responses specific to used oil.
- Ohio EPA Publication Catalog
Enables users to search for forms, guidance documents, publications, newsletters, checklists etc. on a variety of Ohio EPA issues and topics.
- Ohio EPA Information Subscription Page
- Recycling web page
- Recyclers and Environmental Service Providers
Rules and Laws
Guidance Documents, Fact Sheets, and Reports
- Running a Mobile Oil Changing Business
- An Overview for Ohio Businesses Who Generate Used Oil
- Burning Used Oil in a Space Heater - For Businesses
- Burning Used Oil in a Space Heater - For Homeowners
- Used Oil Burners - New Guidance for Rebuttable Presumption
- Used Oil Processors and Re-Refiners
- Used Oil: Transporters and Transfer Facilities
Used Oil Inspection Checklist:
- Transport and Transfer Facility
- Burn Off Spec
- Generators, Collection Centers, and Aggregation Points
- Processors and Refiners
Used Oil Forms
|Phone: (614) 644-2924
Fax: (614) 644-3146
|Kabelen, Zak||Environmental Specialist 2||614-441-0262|
|Narotski, Bill||Environmental Specialist 2||614-728-1264|
|Shipley, Kristie||Environmental Specialist 2||614-728-5363|
|Weiler, Stephen||Environmental Specialist 2||614-728-5367|