Ohio's public water systems (PWSs) provide an invaluable service and vital resource to the populations they serve. Chapter 6109 of the Ohio Revised Code authorizes Ohio EPA to safeguard public health by enforcing requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act. The Division of Drinking and Ground Waters (DDAGW) oversees the operation and permitting of PWSs, which partially includes the review of engineering plans.
To ensure that adequate quantities of safe drinking water are provided, DDAGW staff review engineering plans and other information pertinent to proposed PWS projects. The division also develops engineering guidance documents, collaborates with the Ohio Section of American Water Works Association and reviews PWS backflow prevention and cross-connection control programs.
IMPORTANT — Plan Submittal Instructions
Ohio EPA Division of Drinking and Ground Waters is moving to a different platform, ePlan, for plan submission, review and approval. Public Water Systems and their representatives can begin using the ePlan platform starting today. On December 1, 2022, Ohio EPA DDAGW will no longer accept submissions through e-mail or Liquid Files. When plans are received, an invoice for payment of the review fee, along with the instructions on how to pay, will be sent to the party that submitted the plans. Review will begin when payment is received.
Account Set Up and Plan Submission
You can set up an account at: https://edocpub.epa.ohio.gov/PlanReview
Through this account you will submit your engineering plans, Project Summary Sheet, applicant and project information and any other supporting documents.
If you are seeking the status of your plans, simply log in to your ePlans account and select the project to see the current status.
|Plan Submission||None||Plans are ready but not submitted|
|Coordinator Review||None||Plans have been submitted to Ohio EPA|
|Coordinator Review||Review Cycle Started (but not assigned)|
|Department Review in Progress||Review Cycle 1, Open, Due xx/xx/20xx||Plans have been assigned to Reviewer|
|Re-Submission Required||Review Cycle 1, Closed||A comment letter has been sent requesting revisions|
|Department Review in Progress||Review Cycle 2, Open||Revision has been submitted and is being reviewed|
|Plans Approved||Review Cycle (1 or) 2, Closed||Plans have been approved|
Plan review may result in multiple review cycles before approval.
- Technical issues with ePlan platform, please contact Kelsey Ridenour at 614-369-3816 or email@example.com.
- Engineering Plan Submission Questions? Please e-mail DDAGW_Engineering@epa.ohio.gov.
Plan Review and Approval
- Plan Review Procedures
- Plan approval rules Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) Chapter 3745-91
- Water Supply Data Sheet (Form 5300) [PDF] or [Word]
- Submit with detail plans or general plans
- New Public Water System or Well Site Application Instructions revised June 16, 2020
- New Public Water System or Well Site Application revised June 16, 2020
Project Summary Sheets/Forms
- Water Supply Data Sheet (Form 5300) [Excel]
- Submit with detail plans or general plans
- Pump Stations [PDF] or [Word]
- Pressure Reducing Stations and Air Relief Valves [PDF] or [Word]
- Small System Plan Submittal Checklist [PDF] or [Word]
- Storage Tanks [PDF] or [Word]
- Waterline Extensions [PDF] or [Word]
- Well Project Summary Sheet [PDF] or [Word]
- Emergency Chemical Feed for Ground Water Systems
- Emergency Chemical Feed for Surface Water Systems
Standards, Policies, Guidance and White Papers
- Parameters Required for a Complete Well Analysis
- Contingency Plan Template
- Recommended Standards for Water Works ("Ten States Standards")
- Engineering Policies and Guidance
- Guidelines for Design of Small Public Water Systems ("Greenbook") issued in 2015.
- Guidelines for Designs of Small Public Water Systems (“Greenbook”) July, 2022 DRAFT
- NOTE: Correction notes have been added to Appendix B and Appendix F of the Greenbook. The new well site application in Appendix B is not current. Use one of the following for completing a new well site application: [PDF] or [Word] revised July 20, 2016. Additionally, two typographical errors are noted at the beginning of Appendix F which covers required well analysis used by public water systems.
- Guidelines for Arsenic Removal Treatment for Small Public Drinking Water Systems
- Additional guidance is available on water treatment plant optimization for protection against waterborne disease.
- White Papers Developed in Conjunction with AWWA Ohio Section Technology Committee
Backflow Prevention and Cross-Connection Control
- General Information (Protecting Our Public Water Systems brochure)
- Ohio EPA Backflow Prevention and Cross-Connection Control Manual, 4th Edition
- Backflow Prevention and Cross-Connection Control Rules in Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) Chapter 3745-95
- Approved devices can be found in OAC Rule 3745-95-06.
- Approved Capacity:
Planning and Design Criteria for Establishing Approved Capacity for the following:
- Surface Water and Ground Water Supply Sources
- Drinking Water Treatment Plants
- Source and Water Treatment Plant Systems
- Questions and Answers on Approved Capacity Planning and Design Criteria
- Water Production Projections Worksheet [XLSX]
- Webcast Series Session 1: Introduction to Approved Capacity and Water Production Projections [slides]
- Webcast Series Session 2: Approved Capacity of Water-Supply Sources, Water Treatment Plants (WTPs) and Source/WTP Systems [slides]