The MillerCoors brewery in Trenton was awarded the E3 Gold Award in May 2017. It brews up to 11 million barrels of beer a year with 510 employees. It is the second largest facility out of seven MillerCoors breweries, and produces Miller Lite, Coors Light, Miller High Life and Third Shift among other products. The brewery has not sent garbage to a landfill since 2009. It is located on 1,100 acres — including 2.5 acres of wetlands, more than 30 acres of managed prairie grass and more than 500 acres used by local farmers.
The Gold Level recognizes organizations that have a good environmental compliance record, have completed environmental stewardship activities and are committed to pursuing environmental improvement projects. Environmental stewardship activities that put MillerCoors in the E3 Gold level include:
- Recycling more than 200 million pounds of waste per year.
- Implementing an employee involvement program.
- Launching an employee sustainability council to reduce water and energy use at the plant.
- Installing water meters for tracking by department, production line or specific equipment.
- Partnering with a bio-tech company converting wastewater into animal feed.
- Treating 1.8 million gallons of wastewater per day and returning clean water into the environment.
- Converting coal boilers to natural gas.
- Constructing 2.5 acres of wetlands on-site to alleviate flooding and improving ground water quality.
The MillerCoors Trenton Brewery continues to strive to complete more environmental stewardship activities and become more sustainable. All seven major MillerCoors breweries in the U.S. are now landfill free, but the practices used to achieve this status originated from lessons learned at Trenton, the first to reach the milestone.
The E3 program provides four recognition levels: Achievement, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Any organization in Ohio may apply for membership. Applications are accepted annually and include both written and on-site evaluations. To be eligible, applicants must be in compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
If you’re interested in applying for an E3 award, visit epa.ohio.gov/ocapp/ohioe3.aspx or call (800) 329-7518. We would be glad to help guide you through the process and get your organization the recognition it deserves.