Ohio EPA recognized American Municipal Power, Inc., (AMP) in Columbus in October with a Platinum Level award for its sustainability initiatives, diverse array of renewable and advanced power assets and robust energy efficiency program. AMP is a non-profit wholesale power supplier and service provider.
AMP’s sustainability efforts and achievements include:
- Improving energy and operational efficiency at the generation level, helping reduce emissions and water usage, and reducing landfill space needs.
- Reducing CO2 and volatile organic compound emissions.
- Adding more solar and hydropower facilities, a component of AMP’s commitment to a diversified power supply portfolio.
- Offering sustainability services to its members. Partnering with the Vermont Energy Investment Corporation to run Efficiency Smart, an energy efficiency program available to members.
- Implementing a carbon management program resulting in reforestation of 467 acres of state forests.
- Offering a green pricing program, EcoSmart Choice, available to member communities to offset all - or a percentage - of their monthly electric usage with renewable energy certificates.
- Efficiency upgrades to its headquarters building.
- Implementing a recycling program and transitioning document management from paper to electronic storage.
For more information about Ohio EPA’s Encouraging Environmental Excellence program and the recognition levels, visit our website at epa.ohio.gov/ohioE3.aspx, or call 1-800-329-7518.