As a precautionary response to COVID-19, Ohio EPA is currently operating with most staff working remotely. If you are working with our staff on a current project and you know the name of the employee you are working with, email them at or call them directly. The Agency website has contact information for every district, division, and office. In order to reach us, please contact Ohio EPA’s main phone line at (614) 644-3020 or the main line for the division or office you are trying to reach.

After March 23, our district offices and Central Office will be temporarily closed and will have increasingly limited ability to receive deliveries, plans, etc. All entities are encouraged to submit plans, permit applications, etc., electronically where there are existing avenues to do so, such as the eBusiness Center (eBiz). Please refer to the list of available services on the main eBiz webpage. We encourage you to make use of all that apply, even if you have not used eBiz in the past. Plans under 25 MB can be emailed. For large plans over 25 MB, entities should work with the reviewer/division to upload via LiquidFiles. Directions for submitting docs via LiquidFiles is available on YouTube. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding. If you wish to send hard copies of documents to any of Ohio EPA’s district offices, the best method to ensure we receive these documents is to send them via U.S. Mail. Since all offices are closed, deliveries outside of U.S. Mail (FedEx, UPS) will likely be returned because the offices are closed and deliveries cannot be made.

To report a spill or environmental emergency, contact the spill hotline (800) 282-9378 or (614) 224-0946

Ohio E-Check: Government Fleets

Frequently Asked Questions

Which government fleet vehicles are affected?

Fleet inspections are required every two years by the end of each odd year. This means that, in 2019, both odd and even year models must be tested and the results reported to Ohio EPA by Dec. 31, 2019. Each motor vehicle owned, leased or operated by the state, local government or any political subdivision whose office is located within a county that is part of a designated program area is subject to inspection, unless otherwise exempt. 

In addition, each motor vehicle that is owned or leased by the federal government or its employees and is operated on a federal installation within a county that is part of a designated program area is subject to inspection. 

Ohio E-Check requires passenger cars and trucks 25 years old and newer with gross vehicle weight ratings up to 10,000 pounds to be tested. This can include some 1-to-5 ton heavy-duty trucks. In addition, covert (including police) vehicles are required to obtain a test. Vehicles are tested on a 25-year rolling window. New vehicles are exempt for the first four model years. For example, 2016 through 2019 model year vehicles are exempt from testing in 2019. 

Diesel-powered cars and trucks also undergo inspection. They receive an opacity test, which differs from the tailpipe test gasoline-powered vehicles receive (Diesel vehicles are not significant sources of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, but they do emit large amounts of particulate matter, a documented respiratory irritant. So, diesel vehicles receive a special test relating to particulate matter). 

Model year 1996 and newer gasoline-fueled vehicles and model year 1997 and newer diesel-fueled vehicles less than 10,001 lbs gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) will undergo an OBD II test. For more information on OBD II, please see the OBD II FAQ.

What model years are required to be inspected in 2019?

In 2019, vehicles of model years 1995 through 2015 are required to be inspected. Model years 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 are exempt as "NEW" (see exemption codes).

What is a Government Fleet Reporting Form?

The Government Fleet Reporting Form must be completed by your agency, submitted to and received by Ohio EPA no later than Dec. 31, 2019. The reporting form lists all vehicles your agency owns with their test results or exemption codes.

How can I tell whether my vehicle is over the weight limit?

Vehicles whose gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 10,000 lbs are exempt as "OGVW" (see exemption codes). The GVWR for your vehicle is printed on the manufacturer's certificate label, which is usually located either on the driver's side door jamb or the driver's side door.

Ohio EPA identifies the GVWR for each vehicle based on its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and in most cases, we are able to label those vehicles that are over the 10,000 pound limit as "OGVW" for you.

What do I bring to the test and how much does it cost?

The lane inspector may ask for the vehicle registration to verify that the vehicle requires testing, however the vehicle can be tested without this item. In accordance with House Bill (H.B.) 119, a vehicle may receive up to three free tests within a 365-day period. With the fourth test, and all thereafter, a voucher will need to be purchased for $18. Vouchers may be purchased at the station. Only one free passing test is permitted within a 365-day period. 

Where are the E-Check test centers located?

Inspections are performed at contractor-run E-Check stations, as well as a handful of other private auto repair shops. The test stations are conveniently located throughout the seven-county test area.

For a list of testing locations in your area visit our testing locations page or call 1-800-CAR-TEST.

How many vehicles should I bring to the E-Check test center?

Ohio EPA recommends not taking all of your vehicles to the test center at the same time if your fleet size is large. Fleets with more than 25 vehicles should schedule appointments at test facilities by contacting Envirotest Systems at 1-800-CAR-TEST or writing to them at Envirotest Systems, 2180 Pinnacle Parkway, Twinsburg, OH, 44087-2366. 

What happens after I pass the test?

When a vehicle passes the inspection, you will receive a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), which includes a detachable inspection certificate. The certificate ID number needed to complete the Government Fleet Reporting Form is shown at the bottom of the VIR. Do not send the VIR to Ohio EPA, but keep it for your records.

Will you accept handwritten reporting forms?

No. Information must be typed onto reporting forms, using either a typewriter or computer printer. Reporting forms that do not meet this requirement will be returned unprocessed. 

I submitted certificate IDs just for the vehicles we own, but left other vehicles blank. Why was my form returned?

In addition to providing certificate IDs for vehicles in your fleet, you must also provide exemption codes for vehicles in you fleet that do not test (see the reporting instructions for exemption codes). 

Are diesel vehicles exempt from testing?

No. There is no exemption for diesel vehicles. Large diesel trucks may be exempt but only if they are older than 25 years old, or are over 10,000 lbs GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). 

Are flexible fuel vehicles exempt from testing?

No. Only vehicles that run exclusively on 100 percent alternative fuel, such as compressed natural gas (CNG), propane, or electricity. 

What happens if the vehicle fails the test?

If a vehicle fails the test, you will be given an emissions report to assist a repair technician in diagnosing and correcting the problem. A list of licensed repair facilities that have the minimum equipment and specially certified technicians who have completed advanced emissions-repair training will also be provided. Vehicle repairs may be performed by a repair facility of your choice or may be performed by the vehicle owner.

Repair cap waivers are issued to motorists when they have spent $300 or more toward emissions-related repairs on a vehicle and still do not pass. Tampering-related repairs do not count toward the waiver dollar amount. Receipts will only be accepted for emission-related repairs performed prior to an initial failing test, if it is within 60 days prior to the initial inspection. All other emissions related work conducted after the initial inspection may be accepted for the waiver dollar amount.

Whom may I contact for additional information?

If you have questions regarding government fleets and the E-Check program please call (614) 644-3059 and ask to speak to the government fleet specialist.