CITIZEN CONTACT: Kristopher Weiss

Ohio EPA Meeting to Focus on Wetland and Stream Impacts Related to Proposed Cuyahoga County Housing Project

Potential wetland and stream impacts associated with a proposed residential project in Independence will be the focus of a March 8, 2012, Ohio EPA public meeting. The information session and public hearing will begin at 6 p.m. in the city council chambers at Independence City Hall, 6800 Brecksville Road.

The meeting will be an opportunity for citizens to ask questions and submit comments concerning an application submitted by Perrico Property Systems to construct the Chestnut Woods subdivision on property located east of I-77, north of Hillside Road and south of Independence High School.

Perrico is requesting to impact up to 0.463 acre of wetlands and 410 feet of streams. The developer would be required to preserve, restore or replace wetland and stream resources to mitigate any approved impacts. Ohio EPA also will consider other alternatives resulting in lesser or no impacts to water quality.

Anyone wanting to discharge dredged or fill material to waters of the State must first obtain a water quality certification from Ohio EPA and a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Ohio EPA’s review is to ensure the project will comply with Ohio’s water quality standards.

The proposed project may result in a change from the current water quality conditions in the Cuyahoga River watershed, but cannot violate Ohio’s water quality standards that protect human health and the environment. Ohio EPA will consider the technical, economic, social and environmental aspects of the project before deciding to issue or deny a water quality certification.

Comments on the application may be presented at the hearing, submitted in writing to Ohio EPA, Division of Surface Water, attn: Permits Processing Unit, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049 or emailed to Chris Bowman. The public comment period ends March 15, 2012.

The application and related materials are available for review by calling (614) 644-2001.


Get to the
Right Person Faster
Notify us about
Non-emergency Issues