Lake Erie is one of Ohio’s crown jewels in terms of economic impact, natural resource value and water supply. Lake Erie is a source of drinking water for 23 Ohio public water systems serving approximately 2.6 million customers. Unfortunately, recreational and drinking water uses have been impaired by harmful algal blooms (HABs) in recent years. Ohio EPA is making funds available to enhance drinking water testing and treatment, as well as reduce nutrient levels in wastewater treatment plant discharges.
Funding Opportunities for Cyanotoxin Testing Equipment and Infrastructure Improvements
Cyanotoxin Grant Application Extended
: The June 1, 2015 deadline has been removed for submitting grant applications for cyanotoxin testing equipment and training. Applications will be accepted as long as funds are available.
- Grant Application and Guidelines for Cyanotoxin Testing Equipment
Ohio EPA has increased the amount of grant funds available for cyantoxin testing equipment for each public water system using surface water to $20,000 (from $10,000). These funds may be used for the purchase of equipment, supplies and training for analysis of toxins associated with harmful algal blooms (HABs), such as:
- ELISA method test kits for microcystin (ADDA) and other cyanotoxins (includes lab supplies);
- Microscope for algae identification and attachable camera;
- Sondes with any or all of the following sensors: Phycocyanin, Chlorophyll, Conductivity, Temperature, and pH (includes installation, telemetry, datalogger, buoy, additional equipment);
- Sampling equipment (such as integrated depth sampler, Van Dorn sampler, Wisconsin sampler/phytoplankton net);
- Training associated with any of the above activities.
- Grant Opportunity for Cyanotoxin Testing Equipment for Water Systems Webinar
- Questions and Answers from August 15, 2014 (Word) (PDF)
- Questions and Answers from August 22, 2014 (Word) (PDF)
Guidance for Conducting ELISA Testing for Microcystin
New Funding Opportunity for Wastewater Treatment Plant Infrastructure Improvements for Nutrients